March 23, 2020
As a result of the Governor's order directing non-essential workers to work from home, please note the following changes in TRS operations:
- Our Member Services Center will remain closed to visitors until further notice.
- All new loans and withdrawals will be paid electronically. We will not be able to issue loans or withdrawals by check.
- Members can apply for loans and withdrawals online in the secure section of our website. As part of the online application process, members will be able to see the bank information TRS has on file for them. If no bank information is shown, members should complete the application and either a) provide the information to a Member Services Representative by phone or b) enter it directly into the website. These options will become available later in the week and will be announced on this page.
- Rollover checks (payments issued to another financial institution as part a rollover of funds) and other payments made by check will continue to be made, but only on a monthly basis.
- Members who want to roll over funds from TRS are advised to make a withdrawal request for any funds they want to receive directly and a separate rollover request for funds they want to direct elsewhere. (In other words, two transactions are needed: a 100% direct withdrawal and a 100% direct rollover.)
- Members are encouraged to avoid mailing in forms or payments to TRS. Because staff will not be onsite regularly to process received mail, there may be delays in processing mailed forms or payments. We encourage all members to use online alternatives in the secure section of our website.
- Onsite educational programs have been suspended until further notice. Members who have registered for upcoming programs will be contacted by email and provided with online alternatives to the in-house presentations.
TRS' most critical functions will continue. Payments for March will be issued on schedule to retirees and others who receive monthly benefits. Members will still be able to use our website for self-service transactions and reach a Member Services Representative by phone during our regular business hours. Additional online transactions—including an electronic retirement application—will become available in the near future and will be announced on this page.
March 13, 2020
For the safety of our members and our staff, TRS has decided to close our Member Services Center to visitors for at least two weeks beginning Monday, March 16. We will monitor the situation over the next two weeks and evaluate the possibility of reopening on Monday, March 30.
Although members will not be able to visit TRS during this time, all other member services will be available:
- Our website is available 24/7, and members with a username and password can do their business with TRS online.
- Any forms or paperwork can be submitted by mail.
- Member Services Representatives will be available to answer calls from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Please refer to NYC Health for information and instructions related to the coronavirus (COVID-19).